Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers – Mexican-Style –These straightforward, tacky, Mexican-inspired vegetarian stuffed peppers are full of wholesome grains, quinoa, black beans, and tons of taste. Miss the cheese for a vegan choice!
Are these beautiful or what? Critically, this may be essentially the most enjoyable I’ve ever had to photograph a recipe.
However… I ass
ume you are in all probability extra fascinated about how enjoyable they’re to eat!
And the reply is first-day-of-summer-vacation enjoyable! No joke! They’re colorful, tacky, not too heavy, and FULL of taste. A full-on Mexican fiesta in your mouth.
Pair these with a margarita or a pitcher of sangria and it may be essentially the most enjoyable you may ever have on the dinner desk. Even in the midst of January.
Did I point out they had been tremendous wholesome? Loopy, proper? And tremendous straightforward to make? Girls and gents, I believe we might have the right meal proper right here.
By the best way, I am so loopy about stuffed peppers impulsively that I got here up with a Mediterranean stuffed pepper recipe with couscous that may knock your socks off. Examine them out!
*This put-up incorporates affiliate hyperlinks. As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my full disclosure coverage for particulars.
I like to make use of a quinoa medley that features rice and different grains for this recipe, as I discover it is hearty however not too heavy. My mix contains quinoa, brown lengthy rice, millet, amaranth, and cut-up purple lentils.
Here is one mix you will get on-line or from Entire Meals, and also you in all probability have others at your grocery retailer.
In case you favor, you may also undoubtedly use all quinoa, all rice, all lentils, and even couscous!
You can additionally make your individual mix, simply you’ll want to take note of the cooking occasions of every to verify they’re roughly identical.
The spices used on this recipe principally quantity to a do-it-yourself taco seasoning.
I like to make my very own mix, and all the time have these spices in the home, however, if in case you have a retailer purchased taco seasoning that you just like, you may substitute 2 teaspoons of taco seasoning for the chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cumin, and oregano.
The right way to make vegetarian stuffed peppers step-by-step
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Cook dinner 1/2 cup quinoa medley or different grains (see observe above) in response to the bundle instructions. You’ll find yourself with about 1 1/2 cups of cooked grains (most grains triple in quantity as they cook dinner).
- Warm a big pan over medium warmth and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Chop 1/2 a medium yellow onion and cook dinner till softened and starting to brown.
- Add 1/four teaspoon every of chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon of oregano.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of crushed or strained tomatoes, and 1 can of black beans.
5. Stir to mix, scale back the warmth and simmer for five minutes.
6. Stir within the cooked grains.
7. Add the cilantro (or use parsley if cilantro’s not your factor) and 1 cup of grated Monterey Jack to the filling.
8. Stir to mix.
9. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with olive oil. Slice four bell peppers in half from high to backside, stem and seed them, and place them minimize facet up within the baking dish. Divide the filling between the peppers.
10. Sprinkle the stuffed peppers with the remaining cup of cheese. Cowl the dish with aluminum foil and bake within the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Take away the foil and bake for an extra 10-15 minutes, till the cheese is golden and the peppers are tender.
To serve, sprinkle with cilantro (or parsley). In case you like, you may high them with avocado, or buttercream, or some chopped purple onion.
That is actually an all-in-one meal, so you may serve them on their very own, or with an inexperienced salad. In addition, they make a beautiful facet dish!
The right way to Meal Prep stuffed peppers
A part of the great thing about this dish is how good it’s for meal prep. You possibly can:
- Make the filling forward of time and refrigerate till you are able to fill and cook dinner the peppers.
- Make the filling and fill the peppers, and refrigerate them till you are able to pop them within the oven. Add a couple of minutes to the baking time if they have been refrigerated.
The right way to Reheat Leftovers
- Leftovers could be reheated one or two at a time within the microwave. I discover a few minutes of excessive energy works nicely.
- Or reheat the entire dish within the oven. Warmth oven to 400 F, cowl the baking dish with foil, and warmth for around 45 minutes, with the final 10 minutes uncovered.
Can I Freeze Stuffed Peppers?
YES! Simply fill the peppers (do not high with cheese), and pop them right into in a freezer bag, press out as a lot of air as you may, and freeze for as much as three months.
Bake the peppers from frozen, coated, in a 400 diploma oven for about 1 hour. Sprinkle the cheese on high and bake for an extra 15 minutes.
These vegetarian stuffed peppers, full of wholesome grains, beans, and greens are an ideal dish in the event you’re following the Mediterranean eating regimen. For extra inspiration, try my Mediterranean Eating regimen/flexitarian recipes!
Take pleasure in! xx