Tteokbokki Recipe – Korean Spicy Rice Cake Stir Fry – This fiery Korean Tteokbokki recipe incorporates a fast and simple sauce base you can also make in lower than 10 minutes! We’ll simmer chewy muffins in a spicy sauce of gochujang and dashi inventory on this addictive and satisfying homemade avenue meals recipe.
Why We Love This
Tteokbokki is surprisingly simple to make at house. The inventory base is comprised of powdered dashi inventory (quite than homemade dashi), so you possibly can make it in minutes.
It has a distinctive flavor and spicy kick from basic Korean substances like gochugaru (Korean chilli flakes) and gochujang paste. It’s additionally simple to change the recipe to fit your style preferences or add additional substances to make it go even additional.
What’s Korean Tteokbokki?
Tteokbokki (typically romanized as dukbokki) is a well-liked avenue meals dish in Korea. It’s a spicy dish of chewy rice muffins stir-fried in a thick chili sauce comprised of a base of seaweed and fish inventory and gochujang chili paste.
You’ll normally discover it at bunsikjip (snack bars) or pojangmacha (avenue stalls) the place it’s stir-fried in large batches and served with Nepomuk fish muffins, scallions/inexperienced onions, and boiled eggs. In case you’re lucky sufficient to attempt some in Korea, it’s low-cost, flavourful, and filling, excellent as a spicy snack or lunch whereas exploring town.
When you might make your individual fish inventory base, we suggest utilizing powdered inventory (often called yuksu in Korean or dashi in Japanese). It saves time, tastes simply pretty much as good, and transforms this dish into a straightforward weeknight meal!
The place We Realized This Recipe
We first got here throughout this fiery dish whereas roaming the streets of Nampodong in Busan, South Korea. This place is MADE for meals lovers – you possibly can spend hours right here simply wandering and consuming and buying. So, naturally, it was an irresistible lure for two hungry Wandercooks!
We knew the minute we discovered the tteokbokki scorching spot. A heat, spicy aroma crammed the air as vendor after vendor labored at large scorching plates, stir-frying lengthy cylindrical rice muffins within the rich, crimson tteokbokki sauce. Some distributors served theirs with boiled eggs thrown into the combination, others with inexperienced onions, slices of Nepomuk fish muffins, and seafood.
What You’ll Want
We’ve listed the important substances, find out how to discover them and their substitutes under them. You’ll additionally want a few primary staples together with soy sauce, raw sugar, and sesame oil, plus some boiled eggs and inexperienced onions to serve (non-compulsory).
- Tteok / Rice Desserts – You should use the lengthy cylinder-shaped rice muffins often called garae-tteok, or flat rice muffins sliced diagonally. It’s extra frequent to make use of the cylinders. However, the flat rice muffins will style simply pretty much as good. One of the best places to search for them is the fridge or freezer part of Korean comfort shops or Asian groceries. However, you too can discover them dried. Dried rice muffins will be soaked for around three hours (or in a single day) earlier than utilizing.
- Gochujang – One of many key substances to the dish, discover out extra about it in our gochujang information. Common gochujang has extra of a tomato/candy style than chili warmth, though you should purchase an additional scorching model in the event you desire. We’ve discovered these at common supermarkets, Asian groceries, or online. The word that the extent of warmth can range relies on the type or model of gochujang you purchase. In case you’re uncertain, begin with a small quantity and construct it up from there. In case you can’t supply gochujang, you possibly can substitute (per tbsp) with 1 tbsp of crimson pepper flakes blended with 2 tsp of soy sauce and a pinch of sugar. The flavor gained to be as advanced. Nevertheless, it ought to get you thru.
- Gochugaru / Korean Crimson Pepper Flakes – Discover it at Asian grocers and online, the place it might even be labeled as scorching pepper powder. These appear to have extra flavor and less warmth than common chili flakes. To substitute, use half the quantity of cayenne pepper or common chili powder.
- Dashi Inventory – this provides the distinctive umami flavor to the dish. There are two kinds you need to use as the bottom for this recipe: 1) Konbu dashi – much less intense seaweed primarily based on flavor. OR 2) Katsuo dashi – intense anchovy kick. For one of the best flavors, we suggest the stronger anchovy model. The odor is robust, whereas cooking, however, doesn’t style “fishy” within the closing dish – as an alternative, it provides the dish a mouth-watering umami kick. Be at liberty to decide on the right type in your tastes, or substitute with vegetable or hen inventory in the event you desire.
- Add water dashi inventory powder to a wok or giant frypan and convey to the boil. Add within the gochujang paste, crimson chili flakes, sugar, and soy sauce and stir right into a luscious, aromatic soup.
- Pop within the rice muffins and inexperienced onion and convey again to the boil, then simmer for around 10 minutes till the rice muffins have softened, often stirring so that they don’t stick with the underside. You’ll understand it’s accomplished when the sauce turns thick and shiny and the rice muffins are properly chewy (go on, check one, you understand you wish to!). If the rice muffins aren’t comfortable sufficient, add in a bit extra water and prepare dinner until prepared.
- Simply earlier than serving, pour within the sesame oil and provides it a great stir. Garnish with extra sliced inexperienced onion, then serve piping scorching and scrumptious!
- If your rice muffins are frozen, soak them in boiling water for a couple of minutes earlier than cooking to defrost. Dried rice muffins will be soaked for at least three hours or in a single day, or you possibly can velocity up the method by soaking in boiling water for 10-20 minutes earlier than cooking.
- Have leftover gochujang? There are loads of delicious methods to make use of it up!
How spicy is Tteokbokki?
Historically tteokbokki is sort of a spicy dish! We’ve toned our recipe down barely, but when you’ll want to scale back the spice even additional you possibly can reduce on the chili flakes and/or gochujang.
How can I make the sauce good and thick?
The trick is to prepare dinner the sauce on low to medium warmth and be affected, person! If it’s nonetheless not thickening up, attempt including a cornflour slurry of 1 tsp cornflour to 2 tsp chilly water and blend it by.
How ought to I reheat tteokbokki?
One of the best ways to reheat tteokbokki is in a pan or wok on the range quite than within the microwave. Add a bit of additional water or inventory and stir gently over low warmth till warmed by. This may assist cease the rice muffins from turning too mushy.
Variations & Substitutes
- Make Rabokki – Add ramen noodles or on the spot noodles.
- Protein – Attempt it with hen, thinly sliced pork, seafood (shrimp, squid, fish muffins), or spam sausages much like Korean Military Stew.
- Cheese – Sprinkle with cheddar or prime with cheese slices and bake or broil for a minute or two till the cheese is melted.
- Veggies – Add chopped cabbage, bok choy, broccolini, crimson bell pepper/capsicum or kimchi.