Smothered Chicken – This smothered hen recipe is made with juicy fried hen breasts tossed in a flavorful gravy with crispy bacon. It’s in fact a cafe-worthy meals suitable in your house!
I don’t perceive about you, however I may consume hen, gravy, and mashed potatoes any day of the 7 days. That’s the beauty of this Smothered Hen Recipe. You’ll be able to get ready the hen and gravy in a single skillet although you boil up some creamy mashed potatoes on the subject of it. That is indubitably a very simple and comfy meals recipe that your circle of relatives will love.Smothered Hen[/caption]
Bonus: You’ll be able to use hen thighs or red meat chops inside this recipe moderately than hen breasts. Examine out the process photos beneath to decide how this arrives collectively, along with my Professional pointers for fulfillment!
Find out how to Assist it turn into
See the recipe card under this submit for aspect parts and general directions.
Fry bacon till in any case crispy and established aside. Reserve 2-Four Tablespoons of distinct bacon drippings. Wipe the pan blank.
Slice each and every hen breast in 50 % lengthwise and pound to about 3/Four inch thick. Dredge in flour aggregate and faucet off additional.
Come with the reserved bacon drippings against the completely blank pan and considerable vegetable oil to give protection to the hen via 50 %. Heat greater than medium-high heat. After heated and glistening, incorporate the hen. Fry 2 at a time for approximately five mins consistent with facet, till they have a excellent golden sear. Set aside on a plate.
Eliminate the oil within the pot and use a paper towel to do away with any black puts out of your pan, however go away any brown remnants. This actually is referred to as ‘fond’ and can give the gravy an attractive taste.
Make the Roux: Soften the butter over medium heat and use a silicone spatula to “blank” the ground from the pan. Sprinkle the flour often, whisking time and again, till a paste sort.
Insert the Broth and Fifty % and Fifty %: Upload the liquid in modest increments, whisking continuously. It’s going to thicken up between each and every splash of liquid. Must you come with it all concurrently, you’ll “wreck” the roux and it gained’t be thick.
Come with pork bouillon, soy sauce, and seasonings. Elevate to a gentle boil, then reduce to a simmer. Insert the hen once more against the pan along with any juice within the plate. Cut up the bacon and insert it on the most productive of the hen.
Come with partially and get ready dinner for 10 mins. Garnish with parsley and serve with mashed potatoes.
To control the Regularity of the Gravy:
- Come with the hen broth/part and fifty % to the roux bit by bit and in modest increments. This will also be very important to seeking to stay the consistency excellent and thick.
- For the thicker gravy: Permit it to stay directly to simmer, exposed.
- For the thinner gravy: Come with a dash of 50 % and 50 %, milk, or broth.
Different Professional Pointers:
- Hen thighs or red meat chops can be utilized on this recipe versus hen breasts.
- Mushrooms could also be incorporated at the gravy when the 50 % and fifty % is additional, if sought after.
- To control the sodium on this explicit recipe, you’ll use unsalted butter and/or decreased sodium broth. Additional salt can in most cases be added if desired. (You’ll be able to additionally overlook the bacon, on the other hand, it does upload a pleasing taste and crunch!)
What to Serve with Smothered Hen
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Buttermilk Biscuits
- Roasted Green Beans or Carrots
- The store in an hermetic container and refrigerate for round Three days or freeze for round Three months.
Smothered ChickenCourse: Main CourseCuisine: American
This smothered chicken recipe is made with juicy fried fowl breasts tossed in a flavorful gravy with crispy bacon. It’s actually a restaurant worth meal proper at home!
1/2 cup Vegetable oil, for frying.
5 strips thick cut bacon
2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Chicken Dredge
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
¾ teaspoon black pepper
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup breadcrumbs, plain or Italian
1/3 cup half and half
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce, can sub Worcestershire sauce
4 Tablespoons Flour
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups chicken broth
¼ teaspoon dried sage
4 Tablespoons Butter
¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
1 beef bouillon cube or 1 tsp better than bouillon
- Prework: Add chicken dredge ingredients to a large plate and toss to combine. Set aside. Measure out gravy ingredients prior to beginning.
- Cook the Bacon: Fry bacon over medium-low heat until crispy on both sides. Remove from pan and pour grease into a heat-safe bowl. Reserve 2-4 Tablespoons of clear bacon drippings. Wipe the pan clean.
- Slice u0026 Pound the Chicken: While the bacon cooks, slice each chicken breast in half lengthwise to create 2 thinner slices. Place saran wrap over them and use a meat tenderizer to pound them to about 3/4 inches thick. This gives them a little more texture for the flour dredge to hold on to. They’ll plump up more when cooked.
- Coat the Chicken: Wipe the chicken dry and coat generously in the flour mixture, get in every nook and cranny.
- Sear the Chicken: Add the reserved bacon drippings to the clean pan and enough vegetable oil to cover the chicken by half. Heat over medium-high heat. Once heated and glistening, add the chicken. Fry 2 at a time for about 5 minutes per side, until they have a nice golden sear. Set aside on a plate.
- Drain the oil: Remove the oil from the pot and use a paper towel to remove any black spots from the pan, but leave any brown remnants. This is called ‘fond’ and will give the gravy a nice flavor.
- Make the Roux: Melt the butter over medium heat and use a silicone spatula to “clean” the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle the flour gradually, whisking continuously, until a paste forms.
- Add the Broth and Half and Half: Add the liquid in small increments, whisking constantly. It will thicken up in between each splash of liquid. If you add it all at once, you’ll “break” the roux and it won’t be thick.
- Add remaining gravy ingredients: Slowly add the beef bouillon, soy sauce, and seasonings.
- Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Add the chicken back to the pan along with any juice from the plate.
- Chop up the bacon and add it to the top of the chicken.
- Cover partially and cook over low heat for 10-15 minutes. The internal temperature of the chicken should reach 165 degrees prior to serving.
- Garnish with parsley and serve with mashed potatoes.
- To Control the Consistency of the Gravy:
- Add the chicken broth/half and half to the roux slowly and in small increments. This is the key to keeping the consistency nice and thick.
- For thicker gravy: Let it continue to simmer, uncovered.
- For thinner gravy: Add a splash of half and half, milk, or broth.
- Other Pro Tips:
- Chicken thighs or pork chops can be used in this recipe instead of chicken breasts.
- Mushrooms can be added to the gravy when the half and half is added, if desired.
- To control the sodium in this recipe, you can use unsalted butter and/or reduced sodium broth. Additional salt can always be added if desired. (You can also omit the bacon, but it does add a nice flavor and crunch!)
Diet: Energy: 483kcal, Carbohydrates: 17g, Protein: 19g, Fats: 38g, Saturated Fats: 22g, Trans Fats: 1g, Ldl cholesterol: 92mg, Sodium: 1104mg, Potassium: 432mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 1g, Diet A: 454IU, Diet C: 9mg, Calcium: 52mg, Iron: 2mg