Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls – That is my absolute favourite sort of slow cooker recipe — one which takes lower than 5 minutes to tug collectively after which rewards you with a scrumptious, wholesome dinner on the finish of the day. These burrito bowls are stuffed with chili-spiced brown rice, black beans, corn, and sure, tender bites of shredded chicken. All the pieces will get cooked proper within the pot, so all you want to do is dish your self a bowl and sprinkle with cheese.
Chicken Burrito Bowls – Recipe in Two Tevels
I normally do that recipe in two levels. First, I get the chicken going with some broth and diced tomatoes, after which I add the rice, beans, and corn halfway by means of cooking. This ensures that every little thing finishes cooking on the identical time and the beans don’t get too mushy. If I’m going to be gone for some time and gained’t be dwelling so as to add the rice, I simply depart it out of the slow cooker and prepare dinner it individually on the stovetop simply earlier than serving. It dirties another pot, nevertheless it offers me some flexibility with my schedule.
Slow Cooker – Cooking in Three 1/2 hours
The primary few instances you make this, pay particular consideration to the rice. I like utilizing brown rice right here as a result of it holds its form higher over longer cooking, however it may be a bit onerous to guage precisely when it will likely be performed. I take advantage of a fundamental grocery-store model of rice and it usually finishes cooking in three 1/2 hours on low on this recipe; whichever model or selection you employ, I recommend checking it after about 2 1/2 hours to see how rapidly it’s cooking and if it wants extra liquid. (Talking of liquid, you’ll get some from the canned tomatoes, so that you gained’t want so as to add as a lot broth as you usually would when you had been cooking the rice by itself. Even so, use your finest judgement when you suppose roughly liquid is required.)
Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls – Simple
I take advantage of my small three-quart slow cooker for this recipe. It’s simply sufficiently big to suit every little thing directly and provides the rice loads of room to develop because it cooks. You probably have a bigger slow cooker, I’d recommend doubling the recipe and freezing half for different meals.
Top-of-the-line issues about this recipe, other than how straightforward it’s to make, is the way in which all of the flavors and elements mingle throughout cooking. The hen cooks in a tomato-rich, cumin-spiked broth, which then will get absorbed by the rice in a while. Each chew finally ends up deeply seasoned and aromatic with spices.
Eat it in a bowl with slices of avocado and a dollop of bitter cream, or roll it up in a burrito for lunch. Both approach, it’s a win. This straightforward slow-cooker meal has greater than earned its spot in my common lineup.
Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito BowlsCourse: Chicken recipes
That is my absolute favourite sort of slow cooker recipe — one which takes lower than 5 minutes to tug collectively after which rewards you with a scrumptious, wholesome dinner on the finish of the day.
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons salt
1 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, chicken thighs, or a mix
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth, plus more as needed
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup uncooked brown rice
Optional toppings: shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, sour cream, diced avocado, salsa, hot sauce, diced green onions, shredded lettuce
- Combine the chicken, diced tomatoes and their juices, chicken broth, chili powder, salt, and cumin in a 2 1/2- to 3 1/2-quart slow cooker. Make sure the chicken is covered with liquid, adding additional broth as needed. Cover and cook on the LOW setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- Uncover and stir in the beans, rice, and corn. Cover and continue cooking on the LOW setting for 3 to 4 hours more. Check the rice periodically in the last hour of cooking, stirring once or twice to make sure the rice cooks evenly and adding more chicken broth if the mixture seems dry. Cooking is done when the rice is tender — if the rice is done but there is still liquid left in the slow cooker, uncover and cook on the HIGH setting to let the liquid evaporate.
- Use 2 forks to shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces. You can do this either in the slow cooker itself and then mix it into the rice, or you can transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board if you prefer to keep it separate. Taste and stir in more salt or other seasonings as needed. Serve burrito bowls with a selection of toppings.
- Cooking the rice separately: If you might not be domestic to feature the rice to the gradual cooker, you could pass this step and cook it one at a time at the stovetop simply earlier than serving (use these directions). To modify the recipe, integrate the hen, diced tomatoes, half of cup of inventory, and spices in the sluggish cooker and prepare dinner for 6 to eight hours at the LOW placing. Add the beans and corn and cook for 30 minutes more, or until warmed thru, whilst you are cooking the rice (miss the closing bird broth).
- Vegetarian burrito bowls: Combine the diced tomatoes, 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth, spices, rice, black beans, and corn inside the gradual cooker. Cook at the LOW placing for three to 4 hours, until the rice is smooth and has absorbed all of the liquid. Stir once or twice in the direction of the quit of cooking to make certain the rice is cooking calmly.
- Beyond burrito bowls: Besides burrito bowls, you may use this filling to make regular tortilla-wrapped burritos or freezer burritos.
- Storage: The burrito aggregate will hold for 1 week refrigerated or for 3 months in the freezer.