Garlic Butter Steak and Potato Foil Packets – Those Garlic Butter Steak and Potato Foil Packets are a very simple members of the family meal recipe for summer time. They turn out so pleasant with quite a lot of buttery and garlicky taste.
Prepare dinner them across the grill/campfire or whilst within the oven for a very simple night time meal at your house or concerning the freeway!
Cooking steak and potatoes with every different in a foil packet has a tendency to make dinner inside the grill (or the fireside) really easy and flavorful. For a lot more foil packet dinners, see my Potato and Sausage Foil Packets, my Hobo Meal Foil Packets or my Salmon Foil Packets!
Please understand: An previous version of this recipe didn’t come with par-boiling the potatoes, however I’ve making an allowance for that re-tested and up-to-the-minute the recipe to incorporate this step because of the truth the recipe simply operates significantly better the usage of this system.
INGREDIENTS It is important to have
Under is a visual evaluate of the substances whilst within the recipe. Scroll all of the method all the way down to the recipe within the base for amounts.
Substances for Steak and Potato Foil Packets: Steak, potatoes, onion, garlic, butter, olive oil, blank parsley, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
Steak: It’s an important to make use of a decrease that remains delicate when cooked the usage of this system. Very best sirloin is surely my desired decrease for foil packets – and what I normally use when I make those.
Potatoes: I use fingerling or child potatoes, or smaller-sized Yukon Golds. I prefer those in way over different folks, just because they in point of fact don’t should be peeled and are faster/more straightforward to prep.
Olive oil: This is my desired oil for this recipe, however feel free to make use of a various vegetable oil you utilize within your kitchen space.
Garlic: For a extra excessive garlic taste (my quantity is inside the kid-friendly facet ??), double the amount of garlic applied.
Much more taste: If you need to make the potatoes a lot more decadent, mix some chopped bacon and/or shredded cheddar cheese into them previous to sealing the packets.
Greens? If you wish to have to prepare dinner some veggies accurately in conjunction with the steak and potatoes within the foil packets, green peppers, asparagus or environmentally pleasant beans is also further.
Different recipes you are going to love:
Largest steak cuts for this recipe
It’s an important to make use of a lower that remains delicate when cooked via doing this.
Most sensible sirloin is for sure my desired lower for foil packets – and what I typically use as soon as i cause them to. However cuts like ribeye or porterhouse carry out superb, additionally. They are much much less lean even if!
HOW TO MAKE STEAK FOIL PACKETS
Realize: I extremely, extraordinarily suggest par-boiling your potatoes for five mins prior to incorporating them for the foil packets! I didn’t incorporate this segment in a prior version of the recipe however have since come to the belief that it simply works out higher the usage of the par-boiling.
- Permit the potatoes to chill good enough so to set up them, then toss with every of the substances (except for for the butter).
- Lightly divide amongst 4 giant portions of aluminum foil. I extraordinarily recommend the usage of a double layer, or using huge accountability foil if you’re cooking across the campfire.
- Fold the foil packets
- Prepare dinner dinner the foil packets whilst within the oven, across the grill or inside the campfire (see the recipe card below for actual directions for each and every means.
Wary when opening the foil packets! You’ll be able to in finding numerous juices within the packets, and there can be steam escaping from them while you open up them up. You should definitely spot every on a plate and open them on a desk floor space, or space all of them on a sheet pan to open. By no means ever open/consume foil packets maintaining them to your lap, no longer even supposing tenting!
I extraordinarily suggest pre-boiling the potatoes. It’s an extra segment, however it’s in point of fact value it so as to keep away from finishing up with overcooked steak and/or uncooked potatoes.
Consider to keep in mind that this in point of fact is supposed for use as a handy guide a rough/simple night time meal or to make when tenting, no longer as a solution to prepare dinner the suitable steak. The perfect steak, I consider, is solely accomplished for those who prepare dinner a steak on its own and will fully focal point on acquiring the easiest doneness to your meat. I however revel in this recipe for its aid and straightforwardness, however yet again, it isn’t a recipe for flawlessly cooked steak.
If your potatoes aren’t cooked by means of
Will have to your steak is finished method ahead of your respective potatoes (it will occur as a result of many components; takes position extra not likely will have to you parboil the potatoes), cautiously do away with the steak within the foil packets and see it on a plate and pass over with a blank piece of foil to relaxation. Raise on cooking the potatoes till in spite of everything they’re finished.
Be aware regarding the foil
Foil packets are indubitably certainly one of my most popular simple summer time foods, despite the fact that I in large part avoid using foil in my kitchen typically. I do purchase recycled aluminum foil from If you Care.
Simply click on right here to shop for the foil I use on Amazon. (This is an associate website online hyperlink and I make a fee on purchases made after clicking by way of.)
They actually have a heavy accountability foil, which is what I like to recommend the usage of for those who’re cooking the packets at the fireplace or will have to your common foil is concerning the flimsy facet (the standard Will have to you Care foil is sturdier than conventional makes I’ve hired within the previous).
MAKE Ahead TIPS
You’ll be able to make those forward, however no longer method too lengthy for the reason that potatoes steadily get started off oxidizing.
I may best advise making them upfront 4-6 hrs simply prior to you might be organizing to prepare dinner dinner for them. They’re superb to collect at your house after which transportation within your cooler to prepare dinner dinner and devour on every occasion you get there at your campsite!
This can also be without a doubt indubitably certainly one of our favourite summertime dinners. Proper this second we’re loving it with an aspect of refreshing environmentally pleasant beans immediately during the yard – both as a eco-friendly bean salad, or as simple sautéed green beans (or Air Fried Inexperienced Beans/Air Fryer Asparagus for ao fuss vegetable facet!).
For the reason that you’ll be able to in finding potatoes inside the foil packets, we don’t typically incorporate yet one more carb. Reasonably we get pleasure from anything else like a Creamy No Mayo Coleslaw or a Tomato Cucumber Avocado Salad with them.
PS Will have to you do that recipe, why do not you leave a celebrity rating inside the recipe card proper below and/or a evaluate whilst within the remark phase much more down the website online web page? I all the time acknowledge your critiques! It’s conceivable to additionally apply me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Indicator-up for my email correspondence report, as neatly!
Garlic Butter Steak and Potato Foil PacketsCourse: Potato recipes
Garlic Butter Steak and Potato Foil Packets – These Garlic Butter Steak and Potato Foil Packets are an easy family members meal recipe for summer. They flip out so delightful with plenty of buttery and garlicky flavor.
1 onion peeled, halved and then thinly sliced
1 tablespoon minced garlic or more to taste
1 ½ pounds steak sirloin is my favorite cut here
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
2 tablespoons butter cubed
1 pound baby potatoes cut into ½ inch pieces (halving or quartering usually does it for me)
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Par-boil the potatoes (highly recommended):
- Place the sliced potatoes in a pot of boiling, salted water and cook for 5 minutes. Drain immediately and place in a large bowl. Allow to sit until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes.
- Make the foil packets:
- Prep the steak: Cut the steak into pieces (2.5 – 3 inches for well done, 3 – 4 inches for medium, 5 inches for rarer steak). Marinate it if you like.
- Combine ingredients: Place the steak, potatoes, onion, olive oil, parsley, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper in a large bowl and toss well.
- Assemble foil packets: Set out 4 pieces of aluminum foil, at least 12×12 inches. Evenly divide the steak and potatoes between the middles of the foil sheets. Top with butter cubes, then fold the foil over the steak and potatoes and seal well.
- Cook the foil packets:
- On the grill/fire: On a HOT grill, cook the foil packets for 8-10 minutes per side, or until the potatoes are tender (exact grilling time can vary depending on type of foil used, exact oven temperature, size of steak, etc.! I recommend an oven thermometer to check on the steak after about 10 minutes to gauge how much longer it will need!)
If you’re cooking the packets on a fire without a grilling rack, place them on a 2-inch bed of coal.
- In the oven: Bake the steak foil packets at 425°F for around 20 minutes, or until done to your liking (exact baking time can vary depending on type of foil used, exact oven temperature, size of steak, etc.! I recommend an oven thermometer to check on the steak after about 15 minutes to gauge how much longer it will need!). If you want a char on the steaks, open the packets and broil for 1-2 minutes at the end.
- Careful when opening the packets – hot steam and juices ahead!
- Ingredient notes
- Steak: It’s important to apply a cut that stays gentle when cooked this manner. Top sirloin is virtually my preferred cut for foil packets – and what I commonly use after I make these.
- Potatoes: I use fingerling or infant potatoes, or smaller Yukon Golds. I opt for those over others, because they don’t want to be peeled and are faster/easier to prep.
- Olive oil: This is my preferred oil for this recipe, however sense loose to apply a exclusive vegetable oil you operate on your kitchen.
- Garlic: For a more intense garlic flavor (my quantity is on the child-friendly side 😉), double the amount of garlic used.
- More flavor: If you need to make the potatoes more decadent, blend some chopped bacon and/or shredded cheddar cheese into them earlier than sealing the packets.
- Vegetables? If you want to cook a few greens right along the steak and potatoes in the foil packets, green peppers, asparagus or green beans can be added.
- Best steak cuts
- It’s crucial to use a cut that remains tender whilst cooked this way.
- Top sirloin is without a doubt my desired reduce for foil packets – and what I normally use once I make them. But cuts like ribeye or porterhouse work brilliant, too. They are less lean though!
- Recipe recommendations
- Careful while commencing the foil packets! There are a whole lot of juices in the packets, and there could be steam escaping from them while you open them up. Make sure you location every on a plate and open them on a table floor, or place all of them on a sheet pan to open. Never open/consume foil packets preserving them on your lap, not even when camping!
- I exceedingly recommend pre-boiling the potatoes. It’s an extra step, but it’s worth it to avoid ending up with overcooked steak and/or raw potatoes.
- Please be aware that this is supposed to be used as a brief/easy dinner or to make whilst tenting, not as a manner to cook dinner the appropriate steak. The perfect steak, I trust, is most effective carried out whilst you prepare dinner a steak by way of itself and may entirely focus on getting an appropriate doneness in your meat. I still love this recipe for its ease and simplicity, but again, it’s now not a recipe for perfectly cooked steak.
- If your potatoes aren’t cooked via
- If your steak is achieved manner in advance of your potatoes (this can appear because of numerous elements; takes place less in case you parboil the potatoes), carefully eliminate the steak from the foil packets and vicinity it on a plate and cover with a clean piece of foil to rest. Continue cooking the potatoes till they’re finished.
- Make beforehand guidelines
- You could make those in advance, but now not too long because the potatoes generally tend to begin oxidizing.
- I would handiest advise making them in advance a few hours before you’re making plans to cook dinner them.
- They’re wonderful to collect at home and then delivery for your cooler to consume whilst you arrive at your campsite!
- About the foil
- Foil packets are honestly one in every of my favourite easy summer meals, despite the fact that I basically avoid the usage of foil in my kitchen otherwise. I do purchase recycled aluminum foil from If You Care.
- Click right here to buy the foil I use on Amazon. (This is an affiliate hyperlink and I make a fee on purchases made after clicking via.)
- The actually have a heavy responsibility foil, that’s what I propose the use of if you’re cooking the packets on the fire or in case your everyday foil is at the flimsy facet (the regular If You Care foil is sturdier than ordinary manufacturers I’ve used in the past).
- Nutrition: Serving: 1foil packet | Calories: 402kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 15gSaturated | Fat: 6gCholesterol: 115mg | Sodium: 155mg | Potassium: 1152mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 365 | IUVitamin C: 28mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 4mg