Cod Fish Tacos – This recipe for codfish tacos is seasoned white fish layered with corn cabbage slaw, a creamy sauce, avocado slices, and a squeeze of contemporary lime; all tucked inside heat corn tortillas. It’s a crowd-pleasing meal that’s fast, straightforward, and filled with taste!
It shouldn’t be Tuesday, in my home, for Taco Evening! We often take pleasure in healthy turkey tacos, salmon tacos, or codfish tacos. These are so tasty and undoubtedly higher than something you’d get in a restaurant.
We do tacos for dinner almost every week at my home. They’re just about my household’s favorite! Tacos are tremendously fast and straightforward to make, and I like that they’re highly customizable. That is so essential whenever you’ve acquired choosy eaters! Can anybody else relate?
These fish tacos are seasoned cod fillets (you possibly can use any white fish) seared to perfection, then layered with a corn cabbage slaw, a drizzle of creamy fish taco sauce topped with avocado slices, and a squeeze of lime. Major taco perfection! You’re going to search out your self placing these tacos on the menu usually!
How Do You Make Cod Fish Tacos?
Start this recipe by rubbing the fresh fish fillets with a flavorful taco-type seasoning. I like to let the fish marinate for about 15 minutes and that’s when I toss together the slaw and mix up the creamy sauce.
For cooking the fish there are four different methods you can choose from. My favorite way to cook the cod for these fish tacos is by pan-searing it. It’s quick and I like the way the outside of the fish gets slightly crisp. All of these cooking methods work really well though!
BROILER: Set oven to excessive broil. Place fish on baking pan sprayed with cooking spray. Broil fish for about 5 minutes, or till fish flakes when pierced with a fork.
BAKE: Preheat oven to 375 levels F. Place fish in a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 8-12 minutes, or till fish flakes when pierced with a fork.
PAN: Warmth a little bit of oil or spray with non-stick cooking spray in a big non-stick skillet over medium-high warmth. Alternatively, you need to use a forged iron skillet. When the pan is sizzling, add fish. Lay in a flat layer and don’t overcrowd the pan or the fish will steam, not sear. Cook dinner the fish for Three minutes without transferring it — this helps get a great browned crust. Flip the fish after Three minutes and cook dinner for an additional 2-Three minutes, till simply cooked via. Take away from warmth.
GRILL: Warmth the grill to medium-high warmth. Grill the fish for about 3-Four minutes earlier than turning and cooking on the opposite aspect, or till fish is totally white and cooked via.
As soon as the fish is cooked and all different substances are ready, carefully break up the fish utilizing a fork, into bite-sized pieces. Divide the fish amongst heated tortillas and high with slaw and avocado slices (or guacamole). Squeeze lime juice on high and drizzle on the sauce. Serve with chips, salsa, and margaritas and also you’re good to go!
What Type Of Fish Is Best For Fish Tacos?
If you happen to’re making an attempt to include extra fish into your loved ones’ eating regimen and even if you happen to’ve by no means been a lot of a fish fan, I extremely suggest wild-caught cod. Cod is a light white fish loaded with healthy Omega-3s without the ‘fishy’ taste that may be present in some seafood.
Other mild white fish that works well for these tacos is tilapia, halibut, or mahi-mahi. I’ll say, I’m not likely a fan of utilizing tilapia in recipes anymore. There are numerous environmental considerations with the best way that tilapia is farmed and it doesn’t have as a lot Omega-3s as many different choices.
Tips For Fish Tacos
- To avoid wasting on prep time, you possibly can season the fish with 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning as a substitute for the entire particular person spices.
- Be careful not to overcook the fish – white fish, like cod, sometimes cooks in a short time (relying on thickness).
- You may use flour tortillas or hard taco shells as a substitute for corn tortillas if you happen to favor them.
- For comfort, I sometimes buy a bag of pre-shredded cabbage for making the slaw.
- Use Greek yogurt for making the slaw and creamy sauce to save lots of energy.
- The creamy fish taco sauce can be made a day in advance.
These cod fish tacos already embody a number of toppings, just like the slaw and sauce. I added all the time add avocado or guacamole and lime, however, you possibly can even add different toppings to your liking.
- Pico de gallo
- Shredded cheddar or crumbled cotija cheese
- Sliced jalapeños
- Chopped cilantro
I do know you’re going to LOVE these tacos as a result of they’re SO scrumptious! The superbly seasoned sizzling fish pairs splendidly with the cool cabbage and creamy sauce. This fish taco meal makes the right weeknight meal whenever you don’t have a lot of time to cook dinner. The fish cooks up tremendously fast and the sauce can simply be made forward of time.
Cod Fish TacosCourse: Main CourseCuisine: Mexican, Southwestern
This recipe for cod fish tacos is pro white fish layered with corn cabbage slaw, a creamy sauce, avocado slices and a squeeze of fresh lime; all tucked internal heat corn tortillas. It’s a crowd-beautiful meal that’s brief, smooth, and full of flavor!
- FOR THE FISH
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 tablespoons olive or avocado oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Juice of 1 lime
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika (or cajun seasoning for more heat)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
- FOR THE SLAW
1/4 cup mayo or Greek yogurt
Juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon honey
2 cups shredded purple cabbage (or a combination of green and purple)
1 cup canned or frozen corn (if canned drained and if frozen, thawed)
1 jalapeño, minced
- FOR THE SAUCE
2 tablespoons mayo
Juice from 1/2 lime
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional for extra spice)
1/4 cup sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
salt, as needed to taste
- FOR SERVING
corn tortillas, diced or sliced avocado, lime wedges
- In a shallow dish, whisk together lime juice, oil, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper. Add cod, tossing until evenly coated and gently rub all of the seasoning into the fish on alll sides. Let marinate 15 minutes, if you have the time.
- Meanwhile, make the slaw: In a large bowl, stir together mayo, lime juice, cilantro, and honey. Add in cabbage, corn, and jalapeño. Toss to coat. Season with a dash of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Make the sauce:Combine all taco sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- For cooking the fish there are four different methods of cooking you could use:
BROILER: Set oven to high broil. Position fish on baking pan sprayed with cooking spray. Broil fish for about 5 minutes, or until fish flakes when pierced with a fork.
BAKE: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place fish in baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 8-12 minutes, or until fish flakes when pierced with a fork.
PAN: Heat a bit of oil or spray with non-stick cooking spray in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Alternatively, you can use a cast iron skillet. When pan is hot, add fish. Lay in a flat layer and don’t overcrowd the pan or the fish will steam, not sear. Don’t move fish for 3 minutes once you’ve placed them in the hot pan — this helps get a good browned crust. Flip them after 3 minutes and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until just cooked through. Remove from heat.
GRILL: Heat the grill to medium-high heat. Grill the fish for about 3-4 minutes before turning and cooking on the other side, or until fish is completely white and cooked through.
- Once fish is done cooking, carefully break up the fish using a fork, into bite-sized pieces. Pop the tortillas in the microwave for 20-30 seconds, on a skillet for about 20-30 seconds per side, or on the grill for 20-30 seconds or just until they get a few char lines on each side.
- Divide fish among heated tortillas and top with slaw and avocado. Squeeze lime juice on top and drizzle on sauce. Serve with chips, salsa, and margaritas and you’re good to go! Enjoy!
- *Nutritional statistics include 2 fish tacos with slaw, sauce, and corn tortillas. To shop on energy, use fat loss or low-fat Greek yogurt to make the slaw and sauce.
- **For faster prep time, buy pre-shredded cabbage. You also can use 1 tablespoon taco seasoning as opposed to the character seasonings. And the creamy sauce may be made earlier. spoon taco seasoning instead of the individual seasonings. And the creamy sauce can be made in advance.
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories564
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 5g 25%
- Cholesterol 89mg 30%
- Sodium 437mg 19%
- Potassium 1077mg 31%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 6g 24%
- Sugars 7g
- Protein 36g 72%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.