CHICKEN LOMBARDY – Marsala wine and mozzarella cheese received with each and every different and determined to skip the usual rooster marsala across the menu, as a substitute upping the ante with a buttery pan seared rooster & mushroom dish known as Hen Lombardy. It sounds fancy, however you’ll quickly uncover it’s shockingly easy. It’s the most productive use of each wine & cheese in one recipe!
I will in truth say this rooster lombardy isn’t a local dish, or perhaps a circle of relatives heirloom. Sudden, proper? Because it’s Italian sounding?
That is a kind of a lot cherished recipes that no one is fairly positive the place it originated. All of us gave the impression to to find the components & the directions on Fb although. Not anything flawed with that since there doesn’t appear to be an authentic supply to present credit score the place credit score is due. Disappointing although for the exact same explanation why.
Since then although, there’ve been a excellent many theories on the place this recipe in reality originated from. It’s mechanically the most productive, vintage Italian American factor to return out of my kitchen within the closing five years. It actually is that excellent.
I’d heard a tale that it used to be as soon as on Olive Lawn’s menu, however I haven’t discovered the rest to again that account up. I imply, they do have a dependancy of naming their primary rooster dishes after areas in Italy. Lombardy is a area in Northwest Italy too. So on that entrance, it’s a excellent wager.
Nonetheless there’s every other college of idea (and lovers) that declare it originates from Wisconsin. The house of the past due, nice Vince Lombardi- notorious participant and trainer.
Whichever model, whether or not true or no longer, they’re each nice beginning tales. Once in a while that’s all we will hope for. And this Hen Lombardy is near to the whole thing I may’ve was hoping for and extra.
First off, this dish provides me an excuse to prepare dinner with wine. Wine is excellent for stress-free & playing, but it surely’s even higher when used to prepare dinner with a meaty dish. I’m a sucker for a excellent recipe that incorporates wine. I be offering no apologies either- wine makes just about any dish’s taste issue exponentially higher.
This dish is braised in it. Making it a herbal to be on the most sensible of my record. It additionally is helping that it tastes superb!
You upload within the bonus of sauteed mushrooms, inexperienced onions, and a heaping serving to of cheese? Signal me up. Signal me up on the entire rosters!
No longer simplest did I in an instant must make this Hen Lombardy, however I needed to shout it’s praises from the roof tops. It’s that excellent. No longer a unmarried chew dissatisfied. In reality, each and every chew left me aching for extra!
SO a lot more, that for the primary month- it used to be a typical big name on our weekly menu. I child you no longer, each and every unmarried week. No longer as soon as did it lose it’s luster both.
Across the two month mark although, we tucked it into the depended on circle of relatives recipe box- and decided we’d wait awhile to experience it once more. It nonetheless makes an look once or more a month although. I’ll be darned too if it isn’t a kind of foods that each and every unmarried son manages to turn up for. I’m all the time happy, and so they nonetheless haven’t found out they’re secretly encouraging me.
Plump rooster breasts are sliced in part, duration smart, and dredged in flour. They’re then browned in a scorching skillet with melted butter, and put aside to attend on a plate.
The butter and browned bits are whisked along side a mix of broth & marsala wine to deglaze the pan. This mix’s left to simmer, thickening somewhat. A cornstarch slurry’s stirred in to actually let it thicken right into a hearty sauce.
The browned rooster breasts are piled right into a evenly greased 9×13? baking dish. Overlap the perimeters a little bit, if essential, so all of them are compatible. Cautious to not in reality pile them on most sensible of each other. A layer of sauteed child bella mushrooms is unfold lightly out over most sensible of the rooster, then the sauce is poured on. Crowned with each shredded mozzarella & Parmesan cheeses, and a sprinkle of thinly sliced inexperienced onions- it’s already shaping as much as be one heck of a dish.
The Hen Lombardy is then baked at 450 levels for 15-20 mins, simply till the cheese is melted, bubbly, & starting to flip golden brown on the edges. The dish is got rid of from the oven, with the rooster being served in an instant. This entree pairs completely with a facet salad, and your favourite pasta.
An explosion of taste in each and every chew, this Hen Lombardy is a connoisseur dinner made on the cheap in a fragment of the time you’d consider.
CHICKEN LOMBARDYCourse: Dinner, MainCuisine: American, Italian
CHICKEN LOMBARDY – Marsala wine and mozzarella cheese acquired with each other and decided to skip the standard chicken marsala around the menu, instead upping the ante with a buttery pan seared chicken & mushroom dish called Chicken Lombardy. It sounds fancy, but you’ll soon discover it’s shockingly simple. It’s the best use of both wine & cheese in a single recipe!
2 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup Marsala wine
1/3 cup butter
8 oz pkg sliced baby bella mushrooms
1/2 tbsp corn starch + 1 tbsp water
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup flour
2-3 green onions, thinly sliced
salt & pepper, to taste
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Cut each chicken breast evenly in half, lengthwise. One at a time, place a piece of chicken in between two sheets of heavy duty plastic wrap. Using the flat side of a meat mallet, flatten the breast out to a 1/4″ thickness. Repeat for all the pieces of chicken.
- Melt the two tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the mushrooms and saute for 3-5 minutes, or until tender. Remove the cooked mushrooms to a waiting plate or bowl, and set aside.
- Add the flour to a flat plate. Dredge each piece of chicken in it, making sure there’s an even coat.
- In the same skillet you cooked the mushrooms in, melt two tablespoons of the remaining butter. Add two pieces of chicken, and up the heat to medium high. Let the chicken cook until nicely browned on one side, flip and repeat. Transfer the browned breasts to a waiting plate.
- Add another tablespoon of butter to the skillet, and brown another two breasts. Repeat the steps until all the chicken is browned, and all transferred to the waiting plate.
- Stir the broth and wine into the drippings in the skillet, whisking to deglaze the pan and get up all those yummy browned bits. Season with salt & pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, or until thickened slightly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the corn starch and water to make a slurry. Whisk this into the skillet sauce, and let it simmer another 1-2 minutes- until nicely thickened. Remove the skillet from heat, and set aside.
- Transfer the chicken breasts to a lightly greased 9×13 baking dish, overlapping a bit if necessary to fit them all. Spread the sauteed mushrooms evenly out over top.
- Pour the sauce evenly out over top of the chicken. Then sprinkle the cheeses evenly out over top, followed by the sliced green onions.
- Bake the prepared chicken at 450 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and slightly golden brown. Remove the dish from the oven, and serve immediately.
Energy: 372kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 30g | Fats: 21g | Saturated Fats: 12g | Ldl cholesterol: 122mg | Sodium: 520mg | Potassium: 479mg | Sugar: 1g | Diet A: 635IU | Diet C: 3.5mg | Calcium: 157mg | Iron: 1.1mg